Is it legal for my probation officer to insist I pay my fines in full or I go to jail?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my probation officer to insist I pay my fines in full or I go to jail?

I have been paying on my fines, never missed a payment, never late on a payment. I was told they must accept whatever I could afford to pay. My old probation officer agreed to accept $40 a month now I have a new probation officer who insists it isn’t enough and must pay in full or else.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is not whether or not it is legal or not for your new probation officer to insist that you pay your outstanding fines in full or you go to jail, but rather what is the current order as to your payment on these fines. To find out the answer, I suggest that you carefully read your sentencing order and the probation report. Your answer will be there most likely.

The problem that I foresee is that there seems to be some issue already between you and your new probation officer. I suggest that you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you with respect to issues that you may have with your new probation officer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption