What to do if facing a potential Class 4 felony charge?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if facing a potential Class 4 felony charge?

I’m 17 and have never been in trouble before. A friend took some of my prescription out of my purse and said that I tricked her into taking it. I am charged with a class 4 felony – delivery of a controlled substance. The county attorney had a conflict of interest turned it over to another one to review. We have not heard anything in the 3 weeks. Should we wait to see what happens or contact a criminal law attorney? In Buffalo County, NY.

Asked on November 6, 2010 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes you need to speak with a criminal law attorney ASAP.  Any time criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal counsel, but especially in this case since you may be charged with a felony.  An experienced attorney may be able to deal with this before a charge is even brought.  If not they may be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or at least get it reduced.  What you need to do now is to find a lawyer that practices in the area where all of this occurred.  They will have contacts within the local court that they can utilize to your best advantage.  Until you do get an attorney, do not speak to the police (or anyone else for that matter) about this offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption