Will I get arrested at a book and release if I have a warrant for a different county from 9 years ago?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I get arrested at a book and release if I have a warrant for a different county from 9 years ago?

I am settling a case right now. I am taking a plea agreement and eventually will have to go to the county jail and get booked and released. 9 years ago I was arrested after a fight with my husband. I completed everything except a few anger management classes. I think I might have a bench warrant. At this book and release will this warrant come up? What will happen to me?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have to appear at a book and release with respect to another criminal matter involving you other than the matter concerning an outstanding bench warrant, there is a very good chance that at the book and release proceeding you will be booked, but not released.

Meaning, the outstanding bench warrant most likely will appear and you will be arrested for it. Given the circumstances that you are in, I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the outstanding bench warrant that you are concerned about.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption