UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I today I got a phone call from a company that
promised me I would get the job if I quit my
old job that I had for 4 years so now that I
quit they told me I couldn’t work there because
of a promotion a man got there but now I’m job
less what can I do here they also gave me a
paper of what my salary would be and the times
too go in

Asked on July 10, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You most likely cannot do anything, unfortunately, unless you had an actual written employment contract for a definite period of time (i.e. with a start date and end date) guarantying you the job. If you did have such a contract, you can enforce it in court by a "breach of contract" lawsuit. However, without such a written employment contract, all employment in this country is "employent at will": that means you don't have a right to a job, and the employer can terminate you at ANY time--even before the job starts. Without a contract, they did not have to start you at work, and you would have no recourse for not getting the job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption