Will I be arrested at the border if I’m crossing back into the US from Mexico and I am on formal probation and was told not to go?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be arrested at the border if I’m crossing back into the US from Mexico and I am on formal probation and was told not to go?

I was recently placed on telephone reporting which is the lowest risk level and I’m only crossing because my uncle is in critical condition and I need to see him.

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are presently under formal probation and crossed into Mexico to see an ill relative and you did not advise your probation officer of your intent to cross the border beforehand, very likely you have violated the terms of your probation. Whether or not you did is best answered from reading carefully the terms of your probation in the the probation report and resulting order control the terms and conditions of your probation.

If you were solely on telephone reporting as the term of your probation and you kept in telephone contact with your probation officer then most likely you will not be arrested for violation of your probation when you re-enter the United States from Mexico.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption