Will an out-of-state DUI show up in an employment backgroubd check?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an out-of-state DUI show up in an employment backgroubd check?

1987 DUI in CA; employer’s criminal background check in FL.

Asked on December 29, 2010 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A criminal background check is a general term used for different types of background checks.  Depending on the state, what systems each state has in place, if those systems talk to the systems of other states and what types of licensing requirement your job requires, your background search can be quite extensive.  Things like credit reports can show your criminal background.  Many states can show not only your arrests and convictions in one state but in other states as well, including any FBI checks using your fingerprints and social security number.  In your situation, you will most likely have your 1987 DUI conviction appear in a background search unless for some reason you were able to have it successfully expunged from your record, which means no record/record sealed and you don't have it to put it on your application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption