What should I do if someone charged an item sent to me on a stolen credit card?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if someone charged an item sent to me on a stolen credit card?

Someone sold me an electronic item for cheap. I paid in cash and the seller shipped it to me in a few days. Now I got an e-mail from someone saying that the item was charged to their credit card; theyhave told the authorities about me.

Asked on December 29, 2010 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

All potential criminal liability should be taken seriously--always. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney. Knowingly or intentially receiving stolen goods is a crime; if the authorities believe you did so, they could try to pursue charges against you. The fact that you paid in cash--very unusual, especially when it's not an "on the spot" transaction (no future shipping)--and that you seemingly knew the item was less expensive than it ought to be ("for cheap") both are facts that could be taken to suggest that you did know the item was stolen. Therefore, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney who can evaluate all the facts in detail and advise you; in the meantime, do not talk to the authorities until you have had a chance to talk to you attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption