who would have medical power of attorney in the event of legal separation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

who would have medical power of attorney in the event of legal separation?

My mother has suffered a stroke and needs someone to make medical decisions on her behalf. She lives in Florida. We, her children, live in Texas.
Would my father have medical power of attorney, even if she had filed for divorce?
If he has medical power of attorney, how do we revoke and assign to someone else?

Asked on October 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally, an undivorced spouse can make medical decisions for an incapacitated or unable-to-communicate spouse, even if divorce was filed for: until the divorce is final, the two people are still spouses.
If your mother was stiill competent or communicative, she could draft a medical power of attorney (also called variously a medical proxy, an advance directive, or a "living will") which could both set out her wishes or instructions and also designate a person or persons to make decisions for her at need. But if she already incompetent or uncommunicative, she cannot do that.
Even though her spouse may be able to make decisions for her, he needs to make them in accordance with her best interest. If you feel that he is not, you could bring an legal action in family or chancery court to have a legal guardian appointed for her (e.g. you, if you are an adult [not  minor]), with that guardian being given the power to make decisions on her behalf. You'd have to be able to show in court that he is not making decisions in her interest, however, to do this. If you believe this is the case, or you want to explore this option, meet with a family or elder law attorney to discuss what you'd need to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption