My former employer kept my final paycheck for negative PTO in Connecticut. Is that legal for him to do?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My former employer kept my final paycheck for negative PTO in Connecticut. Is that legal for him to do?

Ct final paycheck held

Asked on October 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under CT law, an employer may only deduct from an employee's wages charges that are required by law (e.g. taxes, garnishments, etc.) or those which are authorized by the employee on a form approved by the state labor commissioner. Otherwise, wages may not be withheld. If they are, then the worker can file a wage complaint with the state department of labor or sue their ex-employer in small claims court. However, this does not mean that if an employer is legitimately owed money they cannot get it, it just means that they will either have to work out a pay arrangemnt with the worker or take then to court to collect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption