Who is responsible for medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for medical bills?

My daughter slipped on steps inside a bar. She fractured her skull and was
unconscious. Someone called the ambulance and she was taken to the emergency
room. Who is responsible for her bills?

Asked on April 13, 2016 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter's personal injury claim should be filed in writing with the bar's insurance carrier.  The bar is liable for her injury.
When she completes her medical treatment and is released by the doctor or is declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary, she should obtain her medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Her personal injury claim filed with the bar's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of her injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the bar's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If your daughter is dissatisfied with settlement offers from the bar's insurance carrier, she should reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the bar based on premises liability.
If the case is NOT settled with the bar's insurance carrier, your daughter's lawsuit against the bar must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or she will lose her rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption