When you rent a car and it receives minor damage in a storm while in your possession, are you liable?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When you rent a car and it receives minor damage in a storm while in your possession, are you liable?

Would it be concider an act of God? It got 5 scratches with a quarter size dent within it.

Asked on April 13, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what exactly you agreed to in the rental contract.  As a general matter, you would not  normally be responsible for damage to another's property that was not caused by your intentional acts or negligence/carelessness--and so would not be liable for weather-related damage. However, that can be changed by contract: a party to a contract can agree to be liable or responsible for things he/she would not normally be liable for. Therefore, check the rental agreement: if it would make you responsible for this, you are; but if the contract does not, you should not be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption