If my daughter crashed my car when joyriding with friends, should I press charges against her?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter crashed my car when joyriding with friends, should I press charges against her?

They hit a tree. She is 16 and found my spare key while alone in our home. Another friend wrecked the car and they all left it.

Asked on April 12, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Although you could press charges for auto theft against your daughter, that would NOT be a good idea because a conviction on that charge will be a barrier to future employment.

Unfortunately, you are liable for the accident because you are the registered owner of the vehicle.

You could sue the parents of your daughter's friend, who was driving, and wrecked your car.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption