When can I take my wife off my bank account

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I take my wife off my bank account

Me and my wife are getting a divorce and
she has already filed for the divorce. I
want to take her off my bank account so
she doesn’t spend all my money, when can
I legally take her off or what can I do
so she doesn’t take the money?

Asked on August 14, 2018 under Family Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Money earned during a marriage is considered a joint asset.  Nebraska is an equitable distribution state so that assets are distributed based upon either agreement or what the court considers equitably based on a variety of factors.  Was there an automatic stay issued when the divorce papers were served?  I would seek legal help asap on this. Maybe you should open a new bank account for funds you are now earning without her on the account.  As for the funds in the joint account as of the day the papers were filed, half of that may well be hers.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption