what will my punishment likely be?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what will my punishment likely be?

i was caught stealing from walmart in maryland it was under 100 this is my
first ofense ever im only 19 im a full time college student and i have 2 steady
jobs what will my punishment likely be?

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First of all, for a first offense, the courts allow for a special probation called "diversion" (or your state's equivalent). This is an alternative sentence that allows a person to clear their criminal record upon its successful completion. The way it works is that the defendant goes to court and pleads guilty to the offense. The judge then places the defendant on probation (typically community service, payment of the fine, resitution, etc) and when the sentence is fully completed, the plea is withdrawn and the case is dismissed. In other words, the case is "diverted" out of the criminal justice system. This means that you will be left with a clean criminal history record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption