Was contacted by an investigator what should I do

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was contacted by an investigator what should I do

I was contacted by the investigator in a
neighboring County he said that my name came up
in the course of an investigation and he wanted
me to come into the Sheriff’s Office I told him
that I was an hour away and cannot come into
the Sheriff’s Office he did agree to meet me
somewhere in town where I live to ask questions
I am wondering what I should do if I should
meet him or if I should just have him contact a

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Definitely consult with an attorney first. In fact, you do not have to speak with the police at all, even if they show up at your home. The fact is that they are trained and experienced in getting people to incriminate either themselves or others in possible criminal activities. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption