What will happen since I was caught stealing from a store?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen since I was caught stealing from a store?

If I’m 17 and the total amount of the merchandise was under $1000, will this be hard or difficult to have expunged when I turn 18? Since I’m still in high school, will this effect my school time in anyway?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Shoplifting is generally known as petty theft.  The laws vary from state to state and it is not something to take lightly. Now, under Florida law it is Grand Theft in the 3rd degree becuase of the value of the proeprty that was stolen.  It is a 1st Degree Misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine.  So I would say it could effect school and your record if they choose to charge you as an adult.  You need an attorney asap.  And tell your parents.  Now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption