If I just got fired from my job for stealing but admitted I had a drug problem, can I still be fired?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just got fired from my job for stealing but admitted I had a drug problem, can I still be fired?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can. The fact is that being a drug addict affords you no legal protection. In order to claim employment dscrimination you must show that you are in a "protected class". In other words that your employer's treatment of you is based on your gneder, sexual orientation, age, disability, race or religion. Otherwise, your employer can hire and fire as they deems necessary.

The fact is that an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace as they see fit. And when it comes to discharging an employee, an employer can fire them for drug addiction, or for any reason, or for no reason at all.

The above holds true unless the employee's dismissal violates an employment contract, union agreement or the like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption