What type of actions are most common if your are in violation of a court order for spousal support?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of actions are most common if your are in violation of a court order for spousal support?

First time; 5 months delinquent. What will the judge do?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you are is termed in "contempt" of the spousal support order as issued by the Judge.  In the most basic term you owe a debt.  But this is one of the only times that the judge can throw you in jail for failing to pay a debt.  The catch is, of course, that you can't pay the debt or the support owned unless you can work and you can not work if you are in jail.  They don't care. If you have not paid for lack of funds then what you should have done was to go back to court and ask for a temporary modification - or a permanent modification - due to a change in circumstances.  Get legal help now.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption