What to do if wife is moving out but not filing for divorce or seperation?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if wife is moving out but not filing for divorce or seperation?

She is leaving me with higher financial obligations. I will have my son about 50% of the time and my wife makes about $35,000 more than I do. She also wants to take the car that I drive. I have been paying the house payment but she has been paying the car payment. I did put the down payment on the car. With out her doing a filing what sort of protections do I have to take. What about child support and alimony?

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Can you file yourself? Is there anything preventing you from filing a case. You do not have to wait for her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption