What steps should I take next and what can I expect?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps should I take next and what can I expect?

Not sure where to turn and need some info. I was driving a rental car and was completely stopped at a stop sign. It was early morning, storming out and visibility was poor. I checked before pulling out and out of nowhere hit a guy on a bicycle. I was not going fast as I was completely stopped at a stop sign, just pulling away. I thought I had the rental car insurance but didn’t. I did not own a car so did not have my own insurance. There was a police report written up, no one was ticketed. The guy was shaken up but up walking around. He was a lifeguard so he knew the paramedic who showed up and one kept pushing him to take the ambulance to the hospital. There was minimal damage to the rental car, only a cracked grill and no visible damage to his bike. He said his knee hurt but was bruised from being caught between the car bumper and bike. Now I have an attorney contacting me asking for my insurance info which I do not have because I did not own a car at the time. If responsible, I do not mind paying what is owed but I do not want to get taken advantage of. I am not sure if I should speak to the attorney or get my own attorney. I am a woman who lives pay check to pay check and I do not own anything. I have had a very rough few years and I am trying to get back on my feet. Just need to be pointed in the right direction on what steps I need to take next. This happened in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. thank you for your time.

Asked on May 31, 2019 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may want to contact Legal Aid to obtain an attorney if Legal Aid takes this type of case.
Eventually you will be held liable for the accident and there will be a monetary judgment against you. At that time, it will be advisable to file bankruptcy. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption