What options do I have if my doctor stops prescribing a non-opiate, medically necessary medication?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options do I have if my doctor stops prescribing a non-opiate, medically necessary medication?

She claims state law or other guidance on opiates compelled her to decide to stop prescribing the medication. However, it is a non-opiate drug that I have

been using for a decade to control vertigo attacks.

Asked on October 31, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your option is to find another doctor. You cannot force a doctor to prescribe medicine that she believes is medically unnecessary, potentally harmful, or inappropriate. The doctor uses her medical judgment in treatment, which includes prescriptions; if you disagree with her judgment, you are free to find another doctor whose judgment/treatment you agree with, but you (as a non-doctor especially) have no legal right or power to make her prescribe medicine against her will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption