What legal recourse do I have against my ex-boyfriend?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal recourse do I have against my ex-boyfriend?

I made an offer on a home and my boyfriend agreed to be on the mortgage, without being on the deed so I could get the loan. We recently broke up. My closing is in 10 days and he said he will not sign any closing docs now. I am now looking at losing my 10k deposit and can be sued by the seller on top of that.

Asked on September 9, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any recourse. His oral promise, for which he was not receiving any "consideration" or thing of value (i.e. his promise to be on  the mortgage to help you out) is not an enforceable contract. The law does not enforce non-contractual promises, and a promise where the other person gets nothing for the promise (since he wasn't going to be on the deed, he got no ownership interest, equity, right to the home, etc.) does not make a contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption