What is the most effective method for binding a co-owner to pay equal share of expenses on an estate prior to sale ?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the most effective method for binding a co-owner to pay equal share of expenses on an estate prior to sale ?

My dad’s estate shows his main domicile as belonging equally among myself and two brothers. As his caregiver, I lived with him for his last 13 years. Further, since I continued to live in home, I was the principal worker/financier of upgrading home for resale. Leaving other things aside, following several episodes under duress, I finally asserted that I would not sign the contract until I was repaid for my out of pocket expenses, not to include among other things labor, gasoline, etc. One brother says what I want to hear and the other one supposedly (incommuniicado) does not.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. Was the proeprty in yours and your siblings names prior to your Father's death?  If it was not then the only one who had an obligation to maintain it was your Father.  And you and your siblings have no obligation to do so until the property is transferred.  I would speak with some one in your area on the matter to discuss the matter further.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption