What is the law in Maryland about using my personal vehicle for someones elses business

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law in Maryland about using my personal vehicle for someones elses business

I do construction work for a local construction company and I use my personal vehicle and tools for this company. I am a full-time employe. Does the company I work for have to compensate me for the use of my van? I have recently had to do major repairs and Im tracing about 100 miles a day to the job I’m on.

Asked on July 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal requirement than an employer compensate an employee for the use of his or her personal vehcile for work--they don't have to pay for gas, mileage, maintenance, etc. And they can, despite not having to reimburse you, require you to use your van.
The best you can do is track your work mileage, gas expenditures, tolls, and maintenance costs and provide them to your tax preparer at tax time: it is possible you may be able to get some tax deduction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption