What is the first step I need to take to file for divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the first step I need to take to file for divorce?

Married 4 years; 1 child together; home is still in my maiden name.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a divorce complaint.  Most county courthouses have a form that you can either download or obtain in person.

If you want to speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law, call us at 973-562-0100.  Our firm is concentrated in family law and estate planning case.

Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

The Micklin Law Group

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110


[email protected]


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption