What is the best course of action to take time off from work due to health related issues?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best course of action to take time off from work due to health related issues?

My husband is experiencing health issues due to high stress at work. Currently, he is under a doctor’s care, and he would like to request a temporary leave from work. What should he do so he can keep his job, but take care of his health?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Unfortunately you did not provide enough information here in order to give you any specific guidance so I will give you some strategies that I hope will help.  First, if your husband's company has a human resources department go and speak with them about taking a leave of absence without pay.  You can also speak with them about going out on temporary disability if he qualifies.  If the company fits the mold, so to speak, and qualifies under the Family Leave Act you can ask about taking that time as well.  Under the Family Leave Act certain employees are permitted up to 12 weeks leave time and their jobs are protected during that period.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption