What is needed to prove destruction of property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is needed to prove destruction of property?

My part time job fired me on nov 1. Nov 8 they filed a
police report saying that I broke two items, but there
are no eye witnesses and no video footage. They
speculate it was me because I was angry about
being let go. I also sent the manager a text message
calling her a b. One of the employees claims I told
him I broke something. They say they are going to
try to prosecute and a detective even called me and
said it looks like they have a case. I did not confess
to anything. Can I get convicted just off speculation
and hearsay?

Asked on December 13, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What the defendant (that is, you) says to other people is admissible in court; it is not hearsay. (That is why for example, you read about people in jail who get convicted because they admitted what they did to their cell mate.) If the person who claims you told him that you would break the property is credible (believable), and you had means, motive and opportunity, they could prosecute and potentially convict you based on that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption