What if my landlord will not give me a copy of the lease that I signed 3 months ago?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if my landlord will not give me a copy of the lease that I signed 3 months ago?

My landlord said she would make a copy of it immediately after we met and scan it to me and then also send a hard copy. I have asked for a copy 4 separate times since then and she either does not reply or says she is having trouble sending it and will send one out SAP. I am supposed to move in in a week but I still don’t have a copy of the lease. I did pay the security deposit of $400 but the only proof I have is my bank statement. What should I do?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there is a landlord tenant housing clinic in your community, you should go there for assistance with respect to the landlord who refuses to provide you with a copy of the lease that you signed for the premises you intend to occupy.

In the meantime, I would continue calling and e mailing the landlord for a copy of the lease and be prepared to occupy the premises on the date agreed to. The best way to get a copy of the lease is to set up an appointment to come by the landlord's home and receive a copy of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption