what do i do if my brother stole 900 woth of property from me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what do i do if my brother stole 900 woth of property from me?

so my brother has stolen a 550 camera and 350 projecter from me and
openly admitted to stealing and selling it to buy drugs. he promised
he was gonna pay me back therefore i did not file anything but now he
does not want to pay me back and denies stealing it. what do i do now
please help me

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can certainly file a police report and press charge.
2) You can sue him for the money, such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal fees, but if he does not have much in the way of income or assets and doesn't care about having an unsatisfied judgment on his credit history, you are not likely to actually recover anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption