Is it considered harboring a fugitive or aiding/abetting if you allow someone to stay in your home knowing they have a warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it considered harboring a fugitive or aiding/abetting if you allow someone to stay in your home knowing they have a warrant?

I have a friend who is allowing his friend to stay in his garage and he is aware that a warrant has been issued for the friend. He is worried about whether or not he or anyone else on the property, especially the landlord who owns the whole place who has no idea the friend is there, for instance can get in any legal trouble for allowing the friend with the warrant to stay there. He has not provided any other assistance, has no idea what the warrant was even issued for, hasn’t provided transportation or funding or anything else, all he’s done is allowed his friend to stay in the garage for about a month. Can he get in any legal trouble for it?

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The criminal statutes of most states, as well as federal law, are substantially similar in their determination of what actions constitute the crime of "aiding, abetting or harboring a fugitive". In general, an individual who knowingly assists, aids, gives shelter, hides, provides clothing, food or anything of value to a known fugitive is guilty of the offense. Depending upon the crime committed by the fugitive, the person harboring them, could be found guilty of either a felony or misdemeanor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption