What do I do if I am on probation and I failed to appear at a citation pre-trial unrelated to my case?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I am on probation and I failed to appear at a citation pre-trial unrelated to my case?

The court appearance was for a municipal citation I was planning to defend. I already went to jail for 10 days for getting the violation and I failed to appear at my pre-trial hearing. My wife is getting ready to go in for back surgery and we were at the hospital and doctor last week and completely forgot about the pre-trial appearance. I went online and I can pay the fine for the “failure to appear” charge, but I cannot pay my citation fine and i have to plead guilty. This happened 3 days ago. Should I go in and talk to the judge or just plead guilty and pay the fine

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Really no one can tell you what you should or should not do without looking at the entire case including what you have been charged with and what the law is and what the long term ramifications can be.  I would strongly suggest that you seek consultation from ana ttorney in your area asap.  You really do not need this hanging over your head and I can understand that given the circumstances you want to just have it over with.  But you need to make sure that paying the fines will not give you grief down the road.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption