What charges can I file on someone?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What charges can I file on someone?

My parents were ran off the road twice by some guy and the followed him about 8
miles to get the tag number of the truck to report it to the police. Once the
caught up to him they got the tag number and the guy started yelling at them and
told them that he was a cop and the best thing they could do is go on up the
road. a short while later a cop showed up and the aggressive driver admitted to
the officer that he ran them off the road. No charges have been filed because it
started in on county and ended in another county. My parents want to press
charges but do not know what charges they can press. Looking for some help
please. This all happened today in Loudoun County, Virginia and ended in Clarke
County, Virginia.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your parents can't press charges--the authorities press charges. All they can do is report the incident; then what happens is up to the authorities. They can try contacting the county prosecutor's offices in both counties, explain what happened and that no charges have been filed so the aggressive driver has gotten away with it so far, and see if either will move forward with the matter. If they have the contact information (e.g. badge number and name) for the responding officer, pass that on, too, to help them get information. But at the end of the day, it is the authorities who decide whether to charge or not: the civilian victims do not.
Other things to consider:
1) If they know which police department the aggressive driver belonged to, they can file a complaint against him.
2) If their car suffered any damage or they incurred any costs (e.g. towing, repair, etc.) they can sue the driver for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption