How can I get a speeding ticket either dismissed or the cost lowered?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a speeding ticket either dismissed or the cost lowered?

I just got a ticket today by a state
police officer and I do not believe that
I was speeding. The ticket says I was
going 67 in a 55 but I am very sure that
I wasn’t speeding by that much. In what
ways can I defend myself from being
accused of this speeding ticket?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no "defense" unless you could show that the officer's radar/laser gun or his speedometer (whatever he used to clock you) is inaccurate, and in my experience, this essentially never happens: the police almost always produce documentation showing that both are properly maintained and the officer properly trained in how to clock speeders.
However, if you otherwise have a clean driving record, there is a reasonably good chance the prosecutor will let you plead to a lesser offense (e.g. fewer miles over that limit; a smaller fine and/or fewer points). Talk to the prosecutor when you get to court for the appearance or trial date; show up early to give yourself time. Be respectful and calm and state that you did do not believe you were going that fast and would not have gone that fast had you been aware of the speed; if you were keeping up with traffic, state that too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption