What can you do when your court appointed lawyer doesnt show up and the judge tells you to get a lawyer pr go to jail?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can you do when your court appointed lawyer doesnt show up and the judge tells you to get a lawyer pr go to jail?

Got a simple possession charge and court
appointed lawyer never showered sp the judge
said to pay for a lawyer out of pocket or go
to jail. Now court aproaches again and i still
dony have a lawyer because one can not be

Asked on September 12, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have a couple of different options depending on your judge and your county.
The first option is to ask the judge to appoint you a new attorney since your current attorney will not appear for court.  Some counties have indigent defense coordinators that determine who your court appointed attorney will be....you may want to start with this office and request a new attorney.
The second option is to file a grievance with the state bar against the attorney for not appearing for court.  If the attorney does not have time to represent you, then they should withdraw so as to permit the court to appoint you a new attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption