How can a person who has already been sentenced get out on bail?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a person who has already been sentenced get out on bail?

I know someone who committed a sex
crime against a minor. They were
sentenced and sent to county jail.
New Link Destination
day they were able to bond out.
How is that possible?

Asked on September 11, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Most sex crimes against children are it may be that the person was arrested, but not actually sentenced.  If a person is convicted and sentenced for a felony, then they will be sent to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to serve their sentence.  If the charge was reduced to something less than a sex crime against a child, then it's possible they could be pled to another charge that is a opposed to a felony...which would be served in a county jail.
If a person is convicted of any offense and they decide to appeal their conviction, then a trial judge does have the ability to set an appeal bond....which basically means they stay out of jail while their case is on appeal....and then they go back to jail if the appellate court upholds their conviction.  So, it's also possible that the person was released on an appeal bond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption