AWhat canI getin adivorce if my husband was cheating on me?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

AWhat canI getin adivorce if my husband was cheating on me?

I asked him to give me half of the money we have and he said he is not going to. So I will take him to the court. How are my chances?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Generally speaking,  the issue of adultery is not one of those that a court takes in to consideration when they are making a determination as to distribution of marital assets. There is an exception, though, in some states.  When a spouse is using marital assets to support the adulterous affair - so in essence dissipating marital assets - then the courts may consider it.  Virginia is an equitable distribution state I believe and so marital assets are divided equitably and not necessarily equally.  There are a bunch of other factors that the courts take in to consideration when making the division.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption