What canI do to live with my mother if I’m adopted by my grandma?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do to live with my mother if I’m adopted by my grandma?

I’m 17. I was 11 when I was taken away from my mom but now I want to live with her. What can I do if my grandma isn’t “okay” with that?

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry about your situation and the angst you must feel being torn between your Mother and your Grandmother.  What ever the reason or reasons that you were taken away from your Mother I hope that they have been resolved for her sake and for yours. But your grandmother is our legal guardian and she can indeed stop you from living with your Mother until you are legal (which is probably 18 unless you live in a state that says otherwise).  If your mother wants to try and get custody back that is an option.  You would be able to testify and the court will consider your wants. Otherwise, once you are 18 you can choose to live where ever you like.  Good luck to you and to your family.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption