What can I do if I let someone borrow $1500 and I’m not getting it back?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I let someone borrow $1500 and I’m not getting it back?

I keep asking my old friend for my money back and he keeps pushing the date. I just want my money back but seems like I’m not getting it.

Asked on February 24, 2019 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue him for the money. A loan is a contract, whether written or oral (unwritten): an agreement that in exchange for lending the money, you will be repaid. If he will not repay you voluntarily, the only way to force him to pay is to sue for it (e.g for breach of contact). Based on the amount involved, suing in small claims court, as your own attorney ("pro se") is likely the only cost-effective way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption