What can i do about being discriminated on my Race?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i do about being discriminated on my Race?

I’m the only Hispanic with my employer. I’ve been taken advantage and lied to about bonuses and raises in order to have me do at risk jobs for them. They recently hired their oldest son and no longer need me so they have written me up for supposably speeding which is not true but the boss’s wife said she has

Asked on February 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

National origin and racial discrimination are both illegal, and based on what you have written, this appears to be one or both. While actions may be taken against a minority employee for legitimate reasons (e.g. restructuring to eliminate a not-profitable department or unit; demotion, suspension, or termination based on actual performance issues; etc.), if they are making untrue claims about or against you and also are singling the only Hispanic out for negative treatment, this may well be illegal discrimination. Contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which enforces the federal anti-discrimination laws, about filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption