What can I do about getting a lien removed by a company that is no longer in business?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about getting a lien removed by a company that is no longer in business?

Asked on October 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the company that has liened your property is no longer in business you need to try and ascertain who on behalf of the entity could possibly sign a release of the lien so that it can be recorded on your property.

If you cannot ascertain anyone associated with the company that can sign a lien release, you will need to consult with an attorney that deals with liens about filing a petition in your county court house to deem that the lien is no longer valid. Once done and you get an order stating such from the court, you then record a certfied copy if such an order on your property.

Such in and of itself will eliminate the lien that you have written about as a matter of law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption