What are the repercussions of an undocumented immigrant leaving theUS willingly?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the repercussions of an undocumented immigrant leaving theUS willingly?

I am an undocumented immigrant. I have been living in the US for 10 years. I have a New Zealand passport that expired 3 years ago. I am also a citizen of Morocco where I was born. I would like to return to Morocco but I am concerned about the repercussions of living here so long illegally. What will happen if I try to leave?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Immigration Law, New York


Dustin Bankston / Bankston Immigration Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are certainly allowed to leave the country.  However, assuming you were properly admitted to the United States when you first entered, a 10-year bar will attach as soon as you leave the country.  That means you will not be able to apply for any immigration benefits or visas for 10 years after you leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption