What are my rights if my goods are housed on a property but I do not pay rent and have never signed a lease?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my goods are housed on a property but I do not pay rent and have never signed a lease?

My goods were moved into a warehouse with partners with the promise of starting a business. No agreements were ever signed. The partners have decided to not go forward with the business and have locked me away from all the goods I have stored in the warehouse. Legally how long do I have to vacate the premesis and can they lock me out from my goods?

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) You have to vacate immediately if there is no lease or other contract giving you the right to possession of the warehouse or part of it. Without a lease or contract, you are essentially their guest; a guest may be asked to leave at any time; if you do not, they can then immediately bring a legal action to remove you.
2) They have no right to hold onto your goods since there is no agreement or contract giving them that right. If they do not return them to you, you could sue them for the value of the goods (which suit could be settled by them returning the items) and/or seek a court order specifically requiring the goods' return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption