What am I able to do about an installer who damaged business property installing appliances in my store?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What am I able to do about an installer who damaged business property installing appliances in my store?

The installer damaged the flooring and walls in the business. Requiring the floor
tiles to be replaced, and holes in the walls repaired. They acknowledged this on
the paperwork that was signed off on. However, it has been several months and
they have refused to answer any of our calls and emails. We are a very small
business and need the repairs done.

Asked on September 30, 2016 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't make them pay for the repairs up front, but you can sue them for the cost to make the repairs: when someone negligently, or carelessly, damages another's property, they become liable, for financially responsible, for the cost to repair the damage. If they have acknowledged the damage in writing, you should have an excellent chance of winning. So arrange for the repairs, keep the proposals/estimates, invoices and proof of payment (e.g. cancelled checks) for the work, and sue them for the cost you had to pay to repair your premises.
(However, if you have applicable insurnace, the easiest/quickest way to get compensation would be to submit an insurance claim.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption