What actions can I take legally to get my roommate’s personal property out of my house after she iss been gone and not paid rent?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can I take legally to get my roommate’s personal property out of my house after she iss been gone and not paid rent?

Had a friend that needed place to live, I have a verbal agreement as to how much she pays monthly. One she has not given me what we agreed on and now she has been away from the premises for more than 39 days. Left all her belongings in my house have asked her several times to come get her stuff she says she cant. Isn’t this considered abandoned?

Asked on April 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You teter a fine line here.  The best thing for you to do is to get an order of eviction - yes, start an eviction of your roomie - and give the writ to the Sheriff to execute.  The Sheriff can also get rid of the belongings legally .  You can not.  Get help.  This is not an easy process and done wrong, it could cost you in the end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption