We know someone who ran away to the philippines and has legal pending cases to be served. what shall we do to bring him back to hawaii?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We know someone who ran away to the philippines and has legal pending cases to be served. what shall we do to bring him back to hawaii?

Asked on July 7, 2009 under Criminal Law, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the crimes involved, if you are talking about a capital offense(s) such as murder for example, Hawaii could possibly move to have him extradited back from the Phillipines.  Otherwise you really have no legal recourse; you would just have to persuade this individual to return.

What you can inform them of is that if they fail to appear in court than the judge will have a bench warrant issued.  And warrants never expire.  If that is the case this individual may not be able to ever return to the US.  If they attempt to, they may be arrested and placed in custody in Hawaii, or in any other state they may try to re-enter in and returned to Hawaii, to face trial on the outstanding charges.  It would be far better for this person to return voluntarily and deal with their legal issues now.

You really need to consult with and discuss this matter more fully with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption