If we had a house fire and hired a general contractor to repair the house but he’s not paying the subcontractors, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we had a house fire and hired a general contractor to repair the house but he’s not paying the subcontractors, what can I do?

His contract estimates 6 to 8 weeks and we are now in month 5 with less than 50% of the work completed. Now I found out he’s not paying subcontractors and nothing is being worked on at my house.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consttruction law for assistance. I suggest that from there discussions be had as to terminating the general contract for breach of the contract for delay and not paying subcontractors and retaining a more reliable general contractor. If a claims representative is involved for your insurance carrier, please advise him or her of the situation as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption