What to do if we bought a home and found out after that that none of the remodel had permits?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we bought a home and found out after that that none of the remodel had permits?

Nothing in the paperwork stated that it had been updated/permitted. Loan only required a termite inspection and appraisal. The paperwork from the title company states that plumbing, electrical were new. That is not true either. Old owner has passed away since the buy.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help from a real estate attorney in your area as soon as you can.  The word "title company" made me feel a whole lot better on the matter as then you have title insurance that may extend to the representations in the policy.  That means that you can go after the title company.  The attorney also will know what the obligations of the parties are regarding permits and the certificate of occupancy of the home.  If work was done with out a permit then there may not be a valid certificate of occupancy.  You may have a cause of action as against the estate of the seller.  Seek legal help asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption