What to do about the voluntarily termination of parental rights and child support?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about the voluntarily termination of parental rights and child support?

It was not a choice made easily but after fighting in court for years for my children and being defeated I was broke and could not afford my monthly child support payments and survive with one income. My children are in custody of my parents and they are in the process of adoption. I signed the paperwork last July. Two weeks ago I received a income deduction order to have my child support taken out again. They have taken the money from me once and plan on continuing. I would like to know my rights regarding the child support, seeing how it was agreed by both parties i would not be required to pay.

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you are the legal parent of the chilrden that you are wriitng about your are still obligated topay for child support. If the adoption has not happened yet then your obligations still continue. Given the uncertainty that you are writing about you should consult withy a family law attorney to assist you in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption