Unemployment and vacation pay if fired

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unemployment and vacation pay if fired

1. If I am fired in WA state, is my employer required to pay me for my remaining unused Vacation Pay hours?2. If my employer tries to negotiate a pay cut with me and I refuse, and then they fire me for my refusal of the pay cut, am I eligible for unemployment?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like both are possible violations of Washington State employment/labor law depending on other factors.

File an inquiry or complaint with the following http://www.lni.wa.gov/ and then review:

" Are workers entitled to be paid for unused vacation, holiday and sick leave or receive severance pay when leaving the job?

Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave and severance pay are considered voluntary benefits that a business may choose to offer workers. Washington State law does not require a business to provide these benefits. Even though there is no state law requiring a business to pay these benefits upon termination, if the business promises workers these benefits and does not follow through, workers can contact an attorney or file in small claims court for their unpaid benefits. "




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption