traffic ticket for speeding

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

traffic ticket for speeding

I was wondering if the officer wrote 1/16/2018 on the top of the ticket as the date and you got the ticket on 2/1/2018 could you have this ticket dismissed because I was sick with pneumonia and at home for three days in Jan.

Asked on February 2, 2018 under General Practice, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Is the rest of the information on the ticket correct--e.g. your name, the license plate, car make/model, etc.? If so, you will not get the ticket dismissed: the law does not dismiss tickets for typos. Only if you could show that this was not you--e.g. they mailed a ticket after the fact to the wrong person--would it be dismissed, but if clearly it was you (including the fact that if it was handed to you on the spot, the officer could testify that you were the correct one ticketed), an error in writing down the date is irrelevant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption